Thursday, January 27, 2011

Lots of Adventures to share!!


First of all  Thanks for all your prayers especially for my breathing  --  my throat no longer hurts and nose has cleared up and no more nose bleeds lately  -- I was getting lots during my cold!! But now I can breathe close to normally every once in a while the stench is too much out side but it is tolerable.     We had an interesting day last week when we went out to do a seed project by harvesting a corn maze and on the way the bus broke down  3 hrs later back on the road on the hot morning to harvest.  It was more rewarding than corn detasseling as you got to see the actual corn and chuck it in the pile. Our first day of serving at church was quite fun  for the first service I helped with children’s church then  for the second service I ushered – I enjoyed both  next week an earlier Saturday night as we have to be at church from 7am till like 430 so it’s a big day!  We were surprised earlier this week when we were sent off in groups of 8-9 to find a way to help the community or a family in our designated area and get to know them and pray for them then followed by 2 more visits one more visit to get to know than a third time to bring them something or do something for the community. We meet some really friendly people in the area  (slums) so  heart breaking to see kids wearing dirty clothes and no shoes and playing with things if we say a child in our country we would quickly take it away or pretty much Lysol their hands if they touched.  We hope to clean up a bit of garbage in their area  (garbage is something that is everywhere   I am actually starting to not see it or even realize if I am walking on old bottles or paper etc so  I can imagine that people here don’t even see it.) We also hope to bring the kids some balls sandals and some other things to just have fun with them or a while.  I am enjoying getting to know my team more – and figuring out myself more, drawing closer to God and helping people in what every way possible. This initial part is hard as my heart breaks when I see the conditions people live in – and kids home all day cause parents can’t afford school fees. I wish I could do more but I’m praying God can use me in mighty ways in the coming months.   Please pray for proactive attitudes and leadership skills as it is easily to become saddened and see a need that is so big and feel so small. Also pray for Uganda’s upcoming presidential election which takes place early feb.
Take care and miss you all,
Love Amanda xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Wow---I love reading your posts. I am glad that you are feeling better. Are you happy? Are things there anything like you thought they would be? Is it worse or better than you thought before you left home?
    You are an inspiration to all of us here. I guess you heard that Uncle Sherman/Ted is getting married in March.
    Our vacation was awesome and we had so much fun together. I gained 9 pounds. :( Keep on writing for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, we sure miss you. Remember to print off your blogs to keep as a journal so someday when you live in Canada you'll remember all these details. Then you can relive your adventures and experiences. Sounds like you're learning a lot!! I'm sure the kids love you as much as mine do. They must be so happy to have you there!

    ReplyDelete